You have been nominated! Now what?
Information & Requirements for Teacher of the Year Nominees
Congratulations on being nominated for County Teacher of the Year! Here you’ll find an overview of the process, your requirements, and helpful materials.
You may want to first read the About section of our website to learn what we’re looking for in a Maine Teacher of the Year. Then you should check out our timeline below. It’s dynamic: when you click on a date, you’ll get more information that will help you prepare and submit your materials on schedule. CLICK HERE FOR THE DETAILED TIMELINE
You can find sample resumes here: Cindy Soule, 2021 Maine Teacher of the Year and Heather Whitaker, 2020 Maine Teacher of the Year
There are four distinct phases to the selection of the Maine Teacher of the Year, which are detailed below:
- Phase I: Selection of the sixteen County Teachers of the Year (Jan 3-May 14).
- Phase II: State Semi-finalists (up to eight) are named in June.
- Phase III: State Finalists (three) are named by the end of August.
- Phase IV: The Maine Teacher of the Year is named in October.
Here are the next steps you’ll need to be aware of:
- Nominations for County Teachers of the Year (CTOY) are accepted from January 1 to February 5, 2021.
- You may choose to opt out; if not, you must prepare and submit your resume and essays by 5 pm on February 26, 2021.
- 3 County Finalists are selected on March 24, 2021. If selected, you’ll have two weeks to gather additional materials: three letters of recommendation, and two short essays (due April 7, 2021).
- County Finalist interviews - April 16 to April 29, 2021. NOTE: Some County Review Panels may choose to do phone interviews, or not to do interviews at all. It is left to the discretion of each County Review Panel.
- The 16 CTOYs are notified by May 1, 2021 and the official announcement ceremony is held at the State House Hall of Flags on May 12, 2021. The 2021 County Teacher of the Year Induction Dinner is May 11th, there is a networking dinner and program for all CTOYs at The Senator Inn in Augusta.
- The County Teacher of the Year 'year of service' is May-May.
The CTOYs start their year of service and begin preparing for the State Teacher of the Year process. It may sound like a lot of work, but every candidate will have the support of a mentor experienced in the process, as well as a network of exemplary educators in your county. This process is designed by teachers to provide professional learning opportunities for the teachers who participate.
Here is a message from a 2019 County Teacher of the Year:
"The process encourages opportunities to lead and learn, it builds connections with a network of extraordinary teachers in Maine who elevate our profession, and allows for meaningful reflection on your teaching craft. Good luck, congratulations again on your nomination, and thanks for your commitment to Maine students!